Thirty children from local schools met Ryder Cup legend Colin Montgomerie during Golf Live; part of a Golf Foundation Tri-Golf festival that showcased the excellent progress of ‘HSBC Golf Roots’ in schools.
Colin is the President of leading charity the Golf Foundation and he took time out of his schedule at the busy Golf Live show at London Golf Club on Friday (18 May) to meet the three teams of boys and girls. He joined in with Tri-Golf games and gave hugely enthusiastic encouragement before presenting medals and chatting with the children and signing every player’s shirt.
Tri-Golf has been a great winner in schools. The colourful, easy-to-hit clubs, soft balls and creative game formats are part of the HSBC Golf Roots programme that offers a fun, inclusive and educational start to the game. Tri-Golf lets all abilities enjoy the hit and the excitement of team games where youngsters play together and encourage each other – developing the ‘Skills for life’ inherent within golf.
Tri-Golf is just one part of the HSBC Golf Roots programme that has become an important part of many a school curriculum. HSBC Golf Roots activity is supported by the Youth Sport Trust at school level and in the wider sport by The R&A, The European Tour, the Professional Golfers’ Association, the Ryder Cup Committee and Trust, the British Golf Industry Association’s ‘Grow Golf’ Fund, Sport England and headline sponsor HSBC.
According to latest available independent figures, the Golf Foundation had achieved a growth of golf provision in schools from 14% to nearly 50% in a six-year period. HSBC Golf Roots is playing a vital role in the support of the national governing bodies to create stronger links between schools and clubs.
Mike Round, Chief Executive of the Golf Foundation, said: “This Tri-Golf festival was a great hit with the children as part of the Golf Live day on Friday. The highly vocal encouragement of each other among the youngsters was great to see and hear and is something we work hard to create in schools.
“For the youngsters to then meet our President Colin Montgomerie was a fantastic moment for them. Colin clearly inspired the boys and girls and our team is hugely grateful to Colin, not just for his time but also for the enthusiasm he is showing for encouraging a new generation of golfers.
“We would also like to thank the organisers of Golf Live for providing this excellent stage for us to create a great festival for local schools and showcase our aim to change the lives of young people, through golf and our HSBC Golf Roots programme. A big thanks also to the London Golf Club for their help. The Young Leaders who were mentoring the children for this festival also deserve special praise for their brilliant energy and encouragement on the day.”
The Golf Foundation aims to reach one million youngsters per year via HSBC Golf Roots, through inclusive and fun golf formats in schools and community venues, and at golf clubs with the help of PGA professionals.
Young Leaders are being trained in schools and colleges to act as mentors at school festivals and to help PGA professionals in bringing the game to more and more young people from all backgrounds.
* To learn more about HSBC Golf Roots and the Golf Foundation call 01992 449830 or see www.golf-foundation.org
* For media information on the Golf Foundation, call Ben Evans on 01747 820384 or 07789 722853.
Notes for editors:
About the Golf Foundation
* The Golf Foundation is a British Isles charity dedicated to bringing more young people into the sport.
* The Golf Foundation is committed to developing the sport at the junior level by supporting the implementation of national development plans and by working in partnership with the golfing bodies in England, Wales and Scotland.
* Each year more than 750,000 children across the British Isles benefit from the initiatives and resources available through the Golf Foundation.
* HSBC provides a comprehensive range of financial services to around 89 million customers through four global businesses; Global Retail Banking & Wealth Management, Global Commercial Banking, Global Banking and Markets and Global Private Banking.
* HSBC Holdings plc, the parent company of the HSBC Group, is headquartered in London. The Group serves customers worldwide from around 7,500 offices in over 80 countries and territories in Europe, the Asia-Pacific region, North and Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. With assets of US$2,716bn at 30 September 2011, HSBC is one of the world’s largest banking and financial services organisations.